Elizabeth's Surgery...

11:27 AM Edit This 1 Comment »
Her surgery was scheduled for Saturday April 21st.  We were able to spend some time with her, and I was even able to feed her a little (a very little) before the surgery.  They could give her 5 cc's (about the equivalent of a tablespoon) every two hours until 2 am before the surgery.  I relished every one of those feedings.  It was a delightful feeling being able to feed my daughter!


This is technically her 2nd bottle...but it was wonderful too!

These flowers are from NBS, where Charles works.  They were so sweet to think of us!


Grandpa Gough...Yup she's crying :)  But it's a wonderful sound!


Grandpa Frost got a turn too...

We stayed at the hospital until about 12:00 Friday night.  Charles, my Dad, Charles' Dad, and Travis all helped to give her a very special blessing.  Then I got one, and Charles got one.  They were very comforting.

The morning of the surgery, Charles and I got there by 6:30 am.  The surgery was scheduled for 8:00 am, but we wanted as much time as possible with our precious baby. 

We each held her and kissed her and snuggled her, then the Dr. came in and explained a little more about the surgery and what to expect for the next 6-8 hours and then we signed the release form, and they let us walk next to her as they wheeled her down to surgery. 


It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do to let her go.  She was so precious!  So little!  How could a tiny baby be able to undergo this kind of extensive surgery!  We went to the waiting room and I just sat and cried! 
And we waited. 
There would be phone calls to the waiting room from time to time and everything they said was that things were going well.  The most important part came two hours before the surgery was over, and after the repairs were over as they let the blood off the biopsy machine and back into her little body.   They had to make sure things were working properly. 
I had come back from pumping about an hour earlier, and I knew I had to take my milk down to the freezer in the CICU.  As I walked slowly down the hall, the prayed (again) and the distinct thought came to me.  "Don't worry, I got it".  I felt very peaceful and then I heard the doors open behind me and the doctor walked out toward the waiting room.  I immediately turned around and followed him and made it just in time for him to tell us that the surgery was completely successful!
I immediately started crying and everyone else either sat there completely happy or cried along with me.  My mom and dad, Charles' mom and dad Uncle Mike and Aunt Melanie and Charity were there.  They were all such a great support. 
We said a very heartfelt prayer of gratitude, then I excused myself to go and (finally) put my milk away.  In the process I was going to see if I could see her, which I did.  I called Charles and he came down to the room too.
I just sat there crying and staring at this beautiful strong baby girl!


 This is actually Sunday after the Surgery.  She did amazingly well!

 The nurse is Pam.  She's probably my favorite nurse there.  She kept calling Elizabeth Lizzy Lu Lu
She was so sweet and gentle with her.
They let Ella and Ethan in to see her for a minute.



 Ethan loves his little sister so much.  He wanted her to go home so bad. 

 Another reason why I love Pam...she gave them these little stickers...

Walking back to the waiting room. 

I stayed at the hospital all day on Sunday.  Elizabeth did great!  She looked so good.  She had a long road of recovery to go, but she started off on the right foot.  We are so grateful for the power of the priesthood and for the power of prayer, and for the power of faith!  What an amazing blessing we've received through this miracle!

1 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh Rachel, what a journey. I'm so happy for you that all has worked out well. What a difficult thing to go through. I'm glad you had so much support.

About Me

Frost Family Faces
View my complete profile