The Birth Story
2:09 PM Edit This 1 Comment »
It always amazes me that every birth story is different, even within the same family, they are always different. Arianna's is just that...
at 12:03 AM, on my due date, January 16th, I was lying in bed trying to go to sleep when I felt two quick "thunks" in my pelvic area. I didn't think anything of it, until a few minutes later when I adjusted a bit, and felt wet! I gasped and told Charles my water had broken! Chuckling, he stood up and started to get dressed while I made my way to the bathroom. No contractions yet, just a little bit of water, so I put on a pad and went and sat down on the bed to call my brother to come on over. My mom happened to be out of town. As I stood up again to start gathering things, and finish getting dressed, I GUSHED!!! I grabbed the nearest thing I could and threw it on the floor (which was my belly band) under me while Charles, (while laughing) went to grab me a towel. I once again changed, and then got dressed. I gathered some clothes for the kids and set them out, then my brother got there. I kissed my kids good-bye (they were sound asleep), Charles gave me a blessing (much needed, I was rather frantic!) that calmed me down and we were off to the hospital. On the way there, contractions started, but never regular. They were always 4-7 min. apart and would last 30 sec.-1 min. But, because my water had broken, and was pooling they admitted me at a 3 +. At about 3:00, I got my epidural (wahoo! Love those things) and Charles and I tried to get some sleep, knowing we wouldn't be getting much in the near future). I couldn't sleep, but dozed and read a book on and off. The nurse came in and started me on some petossin to get my contractions regular. At about 5:10 - ish AM, the nurse came in to check me, and because I started feeling contractions. She pushed the button to get some more meds flowing, then checked me. I was at a 6+. I tried dozing off again, and then the contractions hit me so hard! I pushed the medicine button, but I knew it would take about 10 min. to get the meds to work, and I woke up Charles with my breathing and panting as I tried to control the pain. On the monitor that watches the contractions, I saw the line go up, but never go back down! It was continual pain. OH IT HURT!! Charles had to call the nurse, and she came in and checked me. I was at a 10 and she could see the head!! I had dilated from a 6 to a 10 in 15 min. They called my doctor and about 10 min. later, he arrived. By that time, the pain meds had started working again and I could relax again....ahhhhh. As soon as Dr. Astle got there, He sat down, got ready to catch and said, ok, with the next contraction, push. We waited, and it never came. The contractions had stopped! He told me to push anyway. So, with two good hard pushes, out popped my baby girl! Dr. Astle said, there she is! As she did kind of a somersault, I had to look to make sure he wasn't teasing me, but sure enough, it was a girl!. Arianna Noelle weighed in at 8 lbs, 12 oz and 20 1/2 inches long. She was given and Apgar of 10! She had beautiful color and was perfect from the first minute. I decided on the middle name of Noelle because she was such a surprise and waiting for her was like waiting for Christmas to come all over again.
at 12:03 AM, on my due date, January 16th, I was lying in bed trying to go to sleep when I felt two quick "thunks" in my pelvic area. I didn't think anything of it, until a few minutes later when I adjusted a bit, and felt wet! I gasped and told Charles my water had broken! Chuckling, he stood up and started to get dressed while I made my way to the bathroom. No contractions yet, just a little bit of water, so I put on a pad and went and sat down on the bed to call my brother to come on over. My mom happened to be out of town. As I stood up again to start gathering things, and finish getting dressed, I GUSHED!!! I grabbed the nearest thing I could and threw it on the floor (which was my belly band) under me while Charles, (while laughing) went to grab me a towel. I once again changed, and then got dressed. I gathered some clothes for the kids and set them out, then my brother got there. I kissed my kids good-bye (they were sound asleep), Charles gave me a blessing (much needed, I was rather frantic!) that calmed me down and we were off to the hospital. On the way there, contractions started, but never regular. They were always 4-7 min. apart and would last 30 sec.-1 min. But, because my water had broken, and was pooling they admitted me at a 3 +. At about 3:00, I got my epidural (wahoo! Love those things) and Charles and I tried to get some sleep, knowing we wouldn't be getting much in the near future). I couldn't sleep, but dozed and read a book on and off. The nurse came in and started me on some petossin to get my contractions regular. At about 5:10 - ish AM, the nurse came in to check me, and because I started feeling contractions. She pushed the button to get some more meds flowing, then checked me. I was at a 6+. I tried dozing off again, and then the contractions hit me so hard! I pushed the medicine button, but I knew it would take about 10 min. to get the meds to work, and I woke up Charles with my breathing and panting as I tried to control the pain. On the monitor that watches the contractions, I saw the line go up, but never go back down! It was continual pain. OH IT HURT!! Charles had to call the nurse, and she came in and checked me. I was at a 10 and she could see the head!! I had dilated from a 6 to a 10 in 15 min. They called my doctor and about 10 min. later, he arrived. By that time, the pain meds had started working again and I could relax again....ahhhhh. As soon as Dr. Astle got there, He sat down, got ready to catch and said, ok, with the next contraction, push. We waited, and it never came. The contractions had stopped! He told me to push anyway. So, with two good hard pushes, out popped my baby girl! Dr. Astle said, there she is! As she did kind of a somersault, I had to look to make sure he wasn't teasing me, but sure enough, it was a girl!. Arianna Noelle weighed in at 8 lbs, 12 oz and 20 1/2 inches long. She was given and Apgar of 10! She had beautiful color and was perfect from the first minute. I decided on the middle name of Noelle because she was such a surprise and waiting for her was like waiting for Christmas to come all over again.






1 comments:
How great! And a 10, wow! That's cool Dr. Astle is your doc. He's a great man. :)
Post a Comment