Veterans Day
12:46 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
Veterans Day!
I love Veterans Day. Call me a sentimental fool, but I cry more during the Veterans Day parade than any other parade. This year I had a really hard time containing my emotions as I saw the Veterans getting older... and younger. I saw a man carrying his father's ashes. He was planning on being in the parade this year, but didn't make it. I saw veterans from World War II on oxygen, riding in the back of a wagon. I saw ROTC kids (yes, kids) in full uniform marching proudly down the street. The future veterans. These people have given their lives to the security of this country. Many still are. And many payed to ultimate sacrifice. I'm grateful for Veterans Day, a day we remember...but let's never forget.

We found a spot on the parade route where there were no other kids. Thus, they got a lot of candy. Here are my cute kids enjoying the first of their "spoils".
Every time a band came down the road (and there were eight of them!) Ethan would cover his ears until they were well out of range. He obviously didn't like the "LOUD"!
We found Grandma Gough toward the end of the parade and sat with her. Connor, a little boy she tends most days is the little blond boy.
And here comes the Band!! This is Snow Canyon. It's my littlest brother's last year, and last parade for the matter, so I wanted to be sure I got a picture of him. And wouldn't you know...he's on the wrong side of the street! (or maybe I am depending on your point of view)
They sure look good! Chad is the far tuba.
The only time I had EVER see one of these rolling down the street is during a parade. I can't believe how huge these are in real life. They are monstrous!!!
After the parade, the bands congregated at the park and played a salute to the veterans. Then they had awards passed out becuase this parade was a competition. I can't remember what SC won, but they won something. Then...my favorite part. The drum lines perform a show. Snow Canyon won last year and...they one this year too!!! all of them were really cool. Now if only we can get field shows done in the schools again....
I love Veterans Day. Call me a sentimental fool, but I cry more during the Veterans Day parade than any other parade. This year I had a really hard time containing my emotions as I saw the Veterans getting older... and younger. I saw a man carrying his father's ashes. He was planning on being in the parade this year, but didn't make it. I saw veterans from World War II on oxygen, riding in the back of a wagon. I saw ROTC kids (yes, kids) in full uniform marching proudly down the street. The future veterans. These people have given their lives to the security of this country. Many still are. And many payed to ultimate sacrifice. I'm grateful for Veterans Day, a day we remember...but let's never forget.
We found a spot on the parade route where there were no other kids. Thus, they got a lot of candy. Here are my cute kids enjoying the first of their "spoils".
After the parade, the bands congregated at the park and played a salute to the veterans. Then they had awards passed out becuase this parade was a competition. I can't remember what SC won, but they won something. Then...my favorite part. The drum lines perform a show. Snow Canyon won last year and...they one this year too!!! all of them were really cool. Now if only we can get field shows done in the schools again....






0 comments:
Post a Comment