Sugar Cookies...
11:45 AM Edit This 1 Comment »
Charles has a tradition, as a lot of other people do, to make candy and cookies then give them out to your neighbors. Your neighbors do the same in return so you end up with oodles of junk food that you gorge yourself on all during the holidays. Hey, traditions right? We love 'em!
I've never been one to make sugar cookies. I have a great chocolate Chip cookie recipe, and a bread recipe, and a few others, but that's the extent of my baking. Charles was bound and determined this year to make sugar cookies. So...here's the saga of the 4 batches of sugar cookies.
Last Tuesday I had choir practice. As I was running out the door, Charles get's down a recipe book. He's going to make sugar cookies. "Good luck"! I say as I run out the door, glad it's not me making them. I get home, and taste them. They're not to bad, a little on the salty side, and really flat and hard, but taste wise, not to bad. (I found out later he couldn't find my measuring spoons, so he used a "teaspoon" and "tablespoon" out of my regular silverware drawer. Hmmmm...) Not something I would want to take out to my neighbors though.
The next day, I call my mom and she gives me 4 recipes. So, I pick the one with the least ingredients, (the one that looks the easiest) and make them. Basically, they taste like straight sugar. YUCKY!!! The recipe didn't call for any salt, I realized later, and missed a lot of other things. So, those went in the trash.
The next day, still trying to be good wife, and make sure we celebrate the husband's traditions too, I make another batch. I was originally going to just make the same recipe Charles used the first time, (just with the right measurements) I come across a recipe that says "Melt In Your Mouth Sugar Cookies". Oh, that sounds good! Let's do it! So, I do. The dough tastes great! I think I have a winner...until I bake them. They came out tasting like fish! No, I'm not kidding, they tasted fishy. Soooooo...those went in the trash.
The next day (Saturday) I have an early morning Lieto! rehearsal, and when I get home, Charles is once again making sugar cookies, this time with his mom's 'Ancient Sugar Cookie' recipe. Seriously, it's ancient. It's been passed down from like 5-6 generations. Ok, this has to be better than the last ones! He uses all the right measuring utensils. They come out of the oven...and...they don't taste good....*sigh*. But, better than the last three attempts, so...that's what the neighbors are getting. (SORRY NEIGHBORS!)
Thanks to some very good friends, I now have a few recipes that I will try...but not this year! I'm done with Sugar Cookies! Four failed attempts is all my ego can handle.

Crushing candy canes for the center of the cookies
the cookies. Duhn...duhn...duuuuuhn.
Licking the beaters! My mixer blew up just previous to this. Yeah, we had an exciting day (oh, an my crock pot broke the day before. Not a good day for appliances)
The kids frosting cookies. They did really well! and Charles wasn't to bad either ;)
CHEEEEEESE!!
Ella got the hange of it really well. I love the green frosting on her face.
Chalk up another Christmas memory...
I've never been one to make sugar cookies. I have a great chocolate Chip cookie recipe, and a bread recipe, and a few others, but that's the extent of my baking. Charles was bound and determined this year to make sugar cookies. So...here's the saga of the 4 batches of sugar cookies.
Last Tuesday I had choir practice. As I was running out the door, Charles get's down a recipe book. He's going to make sugar cookies. "Good luck"! I say as I run out the door, glad it's not me making them. I get home, and taste them. They're not to bad, a little on the salty side, and really flat and hard, but taste wise, not to bad. (I found out later he couldn't find my measuring spoons, so he used a "teaspoon" and "tablespoon" out of my regular silverware drawer. Hmmmm...) Not something I would want to take out to my neighbors though.
The next day, I call my mom and she gives me 4 recipes. So, I pick the one with the least ingredients, (the one that looks the easiest) and make them. Basically, they taste like straight sugar. YUCKY!!! The recipe didn't call for any salt, I realized later, and missed a lot of other things. So, those went in the trash.
The next day, still trying to be good wife, and make sure we celebrate the husband's traditions too, I make another batch. I was originally going to just make the same recipe Charles used the first time, (just with the right measurements) I come across a recipe that says "Melt In Your Mouth Sugar Cookies". Oh, that sounds good! Let's do it! So, I do. The dough tastes great! I think I have a winner...until I bake them. They came out tasting like fish! No, I'm not kidding, they tasted fishy. Soooooo...those went in the trash.
The next day (Saturday) I have an early morning Lieto! rehearsal, and when I get home, Charles is once again making sugar cookies, this time with his mom's 'Ancient Sugar Cookie' recipe. Seriously, it's ancient. It's been passed down from like 5-6 generations. Ok, this has to be better than the last ones! He uses all the right measuring utensils. They come out of the oven...and...they don't taste good....*sigh*. But, better than the last three attempts, so...that's what the neighbors are getting. (SORRY NEIGHBORS!)
Thanks to some very good friends, I now have a few recipes that I will try...but not this year! I'm done with Sugar Cookies! Four failed attempts is all my ego can handle.
Crushing candy canes for the center of the cookies
Chalk up another Christmas memory...






1 comments:
This is so funny! I feel for you. Those kinds of things seem to happen to me every year too. I made toffee to give out to the family/neighbors and burned myself all the way up my arm because the hot butter splattered while I was stirring. I gave up on the candy making this year and gave out Martinelli's instead.
Post a Comment